“My Son, do not forget my law”
Have you ever heard someone ask, “What’s in it for me?” As if they will not consider the cost of doing something, unless they can understand the personal benefits they will derive. In light of that, notice how Solomon goes to great lengths to express the benefits of living a godly life.
Proverbs 3:2. “For length of days and long life and peace they will add to you.”
Proverbs 3:4. “And so find favor and high esteem in the sight of God and man.”
Proverbs 3:8. “It will be health to your flesh, and strength to your bones.”
Proverbs 3:16. “Length of days is in her right hand, in her left hand riches and honor.”
Proverbs 3:17. “Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.”
Proverbs 3:22-23. “So they will be life to your soul and grace to your neck. Then you will walk safely in your way, and your foot will not stumble.”
Proverbs 3:26. :For the Lord will be your confidence, and will keep your foot from being caught.”
Proverbs 3:35 “The wise shall inherit glory, but shame shall be the legacy of fools.”
Long life, peace, favor, wealth, pleasantness, safety, protection and glory are just a handful of the blessings on the path of godliness. Sadly, we often step off the straight and narrow path, because we think there is something better on the other side of the fence. The only thing the narrow road is keeping you from, is that which will lead you away from the Lord, and into a life of misery. It is time to put our hands to the plow, keep our eyes on the Word, and press forward in the Lord. The end of that road is the greatest glory, and the path is filled with righteousness.
Questions for Proverbs 3
1. How can you keep the law in your heart?
2. Verses 5-6 are a great place to start; can you memorize these verses by the end of the week?
3. In verse 7, we are given wonderful instruction; we know what it means to fear the Lord and we know how to depart from something. Evil is the thing we depart from and it is defined by God’s word. You are never mature enough to have sin in your life.
4. What are the benefits listed of honoring the Lord with your possessions? Do you honor the Lord with all that you have?
5. How is wisdom described in verses 14-18?
6. In verses 19-20 we see wisdom’s part in creation. Do you give honor & praise to God for His creation?
7. More benefits of wisdom in verses 21-26. List them and ask the Lord to make them part of your daily walk.
8. Verses 27-35 offer practical instruction, if you are not applying these principles in your life, start today! How can you make a difference to someone by this application?
Hosea 2- Undue Influence
Hosea 3- Sale Rack