“I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever; With my mouth will I make known Your faithfulness to all generations.”
The words of this Psalm became the lyrics to a worship song we used to sing when I first began following Jesus. Whenever I read it my mind becomes flooded with memories. My early days of following Christ were filled with firsts. I can recall one of the first times I raised my hands in worship. I was in a room filled with teenagers who were singing and I simply reached up toward the ceiling as if I were attempting to get as much from God as He would possibly give. I recall another occasion when I knelt before the Lord for the first time. We were at a retreat and I was standing near the back when lifting my hands and it did not seem like enough of an expression of praise. I slipped away into the far corner of the room and knelt before the Lord as if to say “I am all Yours, Jesus.”
These expressions came out of a recognition of the mercy of God. I was coming to realize that I did not deserve anything from God, yet He was desiring to give me everything. The apostle Peter wrote that God will give us all things that pertain to life and godliness, Paul wrote that since God gave us His Son He would also freely give us all things.
As time passes I do not want my experiences of God to be distant memories. It is exciting to think back over the years and recall the amazing ways God has been faithful to me but the greatest joy is in knowing that He will continue to express His mercies in new ways each and every day that we choose to seek after Him.
Perhaps this morning is a good time to drop to your knees and lift your hands in praise to God for His mercy and His faithful love.
Questions for Psalm 89
The writer of this Psalm is Ethan. It was written after the fall of Jerusalem. Knowing the promises that were made to Israel, it was confusing to understand what God was doing, yet……
- Verse 1 “with my mouth will I make known Your faithfulness to all generations”. How are you using your mouth? Are you proclaiming God’s goodness or complaining that things are not going the way you think they should?
- Declaring God’s wonders and faithfulness. When is the last time you took the advice from the heavens? Make a list…..declare it! God wants to do something in your life….today!
- Write down all the characteristics of God from verse 7-18. Did you realize how much God is on your side? How much He loves you?
- After quoting all of God’s promises, in verse 46 Ethan starts to question what is going on. Did you know that it was ok to question God about things in your life? What questions do you have for Him?
- After Ethan’s questions, how does he end his song? After you ask God questions, can you respond the same way?