“Then behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, ‘Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you.’”
This chapter introduces us to a man who is facing one of life’s greatest challenges; that of a terrible physical disorder. Being a paralytic would mean he not only missed out on much of the experiences of life that we take for granted, but also, he would be totally dependant upon others. He was not even capable of getting to this home on his own.
I find it interesting and exciting that Jesus says to this man, “Be of good cheer.” With such a difficult trial, what could he possibly have to be happy about? Maybe you feel that way. Maybe the darkness of what you are facing is stealing away your joy. What could you possibly have to be happy about?
I pray these few statements from Jesus will help to restore your faith, hope, and joy this morning.
“ Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you.”
Matthew 9:22 “But Jesus turned around, and when He saw her He said, ‘ Be of good cheer, daughter; your faith has made you well.’ And the woman was made well from that hour.”
Matthew 14:27 “But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, ‘ Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.’”
Mark 10:49 “So Jesus stood still and commanded him to be called. Then they called the blind man, saying to him, ‘Be of good cheer. Rise, He is calling you.’”
John 16:33 “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
Take time to reflect today on Jesus the Savior, the Healer, the Protector, the Planner and the Peace Giver.
Questions for Chapter 9
- What does Jesus alone have power to do?
- Take time to “soak in” the fact that Christ has forgiven all your sins. How should we respond to that?
- Why did Jesus eat with tax collectors and sinners?
- What does He call them to do?
- New wine speaks of God doing a new thing. Perhaps God wants to do a new work in your life. Take time to seek Him for what he desires to do in and through you.
- What do you learn about Jesus from the four consecutive stories of healing?
- What does Jesus say about the harvest?
- Pray for God to raise up LABORERS for the harvest in your community.