“Do you see these great buildings? Not one stone shall be left upon another, that shall not be thrown down.”
The stones that formed the Temple were massive. Their sheer size represented permanence. For the disciples, it would be difficult to imagine them ever being destroyed. When Jesus declared that a time was coming when the Temple would be leveled, the minds of the disciples jumped to the future. They asked;
“What will be the sign when all these things will be fulfilled?”
Mark 13 is an abridged version of the Olivet Discourse recorded also in Matthew 24-25. The subject is the signs that point to the return of Christ. Jesus states;
“Then they will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.”
People are fascinated with what the Bible teaches about the future. Many Christians have become students of prophecy, many books have been written on the subject, Hollywood has produced movie after movie depicting their interpretations of eschatology. Sometimes, in the midst of all this, we can miss the repeated exhortation of Jesus.
“Take heed… Take heed, watch and pray… Watch… What I say to you I say to all: watch!”
While it is important to be aware of the events that point to the return of Christ, it is more important to be focussing on your relationship with Jesus. Are you ready? If He were to return today, what will He find you doing? Are you living your life for His glory and Kingdom? Are you watching or have you fallen asleep? When He returns, we will not be tested on our knowledge of prophecy but rewarded for our faithfulness.
Perhaps this is a good time to take inventory of your walk with the Lord. Maybe you need to do a little “house cleaning.”
Questions for Mark 13
- What does Jesus say about the massive stones of the Temple?
- What questions did the disciples have for Jesus?
- How does the world we live in today compare to the world Jesus describes in Mark 13?
- What are we told to do in verse 23 in light of these warnings?
- What promise does Jesus give in verse 31?
- What are we told to do in verse 33, in light of these warnings?
- What are we warned against doing in verse 36? What do you think that means?